Some students may be using Word on a computer that is setup to not show tracked changes or comments e.g. in the Review tab in the Markup menu show Original is selected rather than show All Markup and in the Show Markup menu, Comments, Ink, and Insertions and Deletions are not ticked. Some versions of Word or other “Office type programs” may not show all comments e.g. light versions of Office used on tablets or the iPad
To guard against this possibility, I insert the following comment at the end of the assignment (go to the end of the assignment > select the eMarking info. for students comment > click the Text button) to ensure that students are aware of the types of comments or feedback that might be provided on their assignment.
eMarking information for students
Your paper or assignment has been electronically marked and it may contain the following types of comments and feedback:
- comments shown in the margin or at the bottom of the page;
- Word revision marks shown in the text in a different colour;
- highlighting in the marking rubric or the marking sheet for the performance standard that best describes your work
- general comments at the end of your assignment
- audio or video feedback which you can replay by clicking the speaker icon
If you can’t see the comments or the revision marks you may need to use the following options to display them:
- in Word 2007 or later: Review tab > Tracking group > Show All Markup, and ensure that Comments and Ink and Insertions and Deletions are ticked in the Show Markup menu
- in Word 2003 or earlier: View menu > Reviewing toolbar > show Final Showing Markup and select options under Show Markup
If you are still not able to view these comments, you should contact your marker and request a PDF version of your marked assignment.
More information on eMarking Assistant including demonstrations, forums, and a free 30 day trial are available from: http://emarkingassistant.com