You may prefer to return the assignment to the student as a locked or unlocked PDF document using Word’s File > Save as > PDF option. This prevents the student from easily modifying the document and means that the student does not need to use Word. Most modern versions of Word will show tracked changes and comments when the document has been converted to a PDF document but you should check this with your version of Word.
You should also include the following comment at the end of the assignment (go to the end of the assignment > select the eMarking info. for students comment > click the Text button) to ensure that students are aware of the types of comments or feedback that might be provided on their assignment. This is because Word on some computers may be setup to NOT show revision marks or comments.
eMarking information for students
Your paper or assignment has been electronically marked and it may contain the following types of comments and feedback:
- comments shown in the margin or at the bottom of the page;
- Word revision marks shown in the text in a different colour;
- highlighting in the marking rubric or the marking sheet for the performance standard that best describes your work
- general comments at the end of your assignment
- audio or video feedback which you can replay by clicking the speaker icon
If you can’t see the comments or the revision marks you may need to use the following options to display them:
- in Word 2007 or later: Review tab > Tracking group > Show Balloons, show Final Showing Markup, and select options under Show Markup
- in Word 2003 or earlier: View menu > Reviewing toolbar > show Final Showing Markup and select options under Show Markup
If you are still not able to view these comments, you should contact your marker and request a PDF version of your marked assignment.
More information on eMarking Assistant including demonstrations, forums, and a free 30 day trial are available from: http://emarkingassistant.com